The Indian Institute for Human Settlements (IIHS) is a national education institution committed to the equitable, sustainable and efficient transformation of Indian settlements. IIHS is India’s first prospective independently funded and managed National University for Research and Innovation that focuses on its ongoing urban and development transformation. It is a first-of-its-kind, practice and innovation-oriented knowledge institution that seeks to bridge the conventional excellence, scale and inclusion divide.
As part of IIHS’ detailed legal work, we are looking for a candidate to fill the full-time position of Consultant – Legal & Regulation (Higher Education) in our Delhi office. This is a mid-level leadership position that will potentially involve independent responsibility and individual contribution along with reviewing and supervising the work of younger team members.
Activities and Tasks
Responsibilities would include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Legal-Regulatory Support in Higher Education (primary):
- Handling analysis and drafting on legal and regulatory matters, including the laws and policies relating to Higher Education:
- Legislative developments both central and state;
- Policies and schemes both central and state;
- Relevant case law at Supreme Court, High Courts and subordinate courts as applicable;
- Ensuring effective and rigorous analysis and adequate documentation;
- Carrying out institutional process drafting, including policies;
- Handling legal advisory, memos and opinion writing, litigation proceedings and related support;
- Undertaking legal and regulatory due diligence;
- Conducting research and analysis of latest developments in Higher Education worldwide, including in the field of Digital Blended Learning and Education Rankings;
- Transactional advisory and drafting as appropriate to the ‘not-for-profit’ sector;
- Handling relevant IPR related matters;
- Assisting in stakeholder consultations and deliberations as relevant;
- Research (secondary):
- Contributing to research and academic work on aspects of urban law and policy, as relevant to IIHS;
- Contributing to other IIHS activities including academics, research, training, practice, operations and others;
- Participating in all activities of Institution-Building at IIHS; carrying out tasks as assigned by IIHS; and travelling on IIHS work within or outside the country as and when needed.
Structure and Reporting
The Consultant – Legal & Regulation will report to the Chief – Legal & Regulation at IIHS and will collaborate effectively with a diverse group of internal teams and external individuals/organisations, and students.
We are looking for a knowledgeable, responsible and motivated lawyer with a minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Law and at least 8 years of work experience in relevant areas, including preferably, experience of dealing with legal-regulatory and policy issues in Higher Education.
Other qualifications required for this role, include:
- Excellent analytical skills and a high degree of proficiency in Microsoft Word, Powerpoint and Excel;
- Excellent communication skills in written English;
- Good communication skills and fluency in Hindi/Kannada (written and spoken);
- Ability to undertake rigorous research on constitutional law, administrative law, executive orders, labour law, taxation law, privacy/data protection legislation, case law, institutional structures and relevant legislative matters, with pronounced evidence of strong drafting and transactional skills;
- Ability to understand law in contexts and propose iterative solutions;
- Ability to assist with litigation related matters;
- Ability to work in a highly inter-disciplinary team and under strict and frequent deadlines;
- Professional experience in dealing with Government agencies/entities;
- Initiative and independent working, ability to handle tasks with minimal supervision;
- Leadership skills, with the ability to supervise and mentor younger team members.
To apply for this Job : Click Here