Better.com is one of the fastest growing home ownership startups in the country, having grown 3.5x year-over-year and funding over $4 billion in mortgages a month. The fintech disruptor dismantled the home-financing ecosystem, replacing it with a digitized process that eliminates commissions, fees, unnecessary steps, and time-wasting appointments. In 2019, Better.com also launched homeowners insurance, title insurance and a network of real estate agents. Better.com has raised over $250M in equity capital and is backed by Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express Ventures, Ally Financial, Citi and other investors.
Job Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provide professional legal advice, legal leadership, strategy and risk management
- Provide and set strategic direction, and sound balanced legal advice on a wide range of corporate commercial matters. Accountability for corporate compliance and legal issues. Oversight for various legal regulatory and government affairs related matters.
- Review and participate in the negotiation, review and approval of contracts and pro-actively ensure compliance in all areas of laws and contractual agreements and have preventive measures in place. Ensure legality of all significant contracts entered in particular with regard to third party contractors, distributors, purchasing, employment, compensation, etc.
- Participate in negotiation and advice and be involved in preparation of documentation for mergers, disposals, restructures, strategic alliances, acquisitions of companies (if any).
- Participate, assist and liaise with corporate functional departments on key technical service fee agreements, professional consultancy/services agreements, licensing and assignments as well as in dealing with third parties in matters of conflict and settlement.
- Manage potential litigation and ensure that the organisation’s interest is protected. Advise and assist the business partners in negotiations with third parties and to assist as appropriate in concluding settlements.
- Coordinate and work closely with the global legal team and corporate legal groups in the global legal function.
- Development and maintenance of relationships with relevant external contacts and organisations (e.g. external lawyers, lawyers of key customers/competitors, governmental organisations, regulators, trade / industry associations, external bodies etc). Identifying work to be outsourced, selection and management of external lawyers, their fee arrangements and service levels. When the event requires the appointment of external lawyers, to instruct external lawyers, manage and liaise with them.
- Dealing with Regulatory Authorities: Make applications/ submission and follow-up for obtaining desired permissions/licenses/ concessions, etc (if required)
- Advise on corporate law, legal and compliance issues and other regulatory requirements
Qualifications and Experience:
- Law Degree from recognized university in India
- 8 to 10 years of post qualification experience in a medium or large law firm or MNC (in-house), preferably both.
- Excellent command of both spoken and written Hindi and English
- Experience providing legal counsel on a wide variety of corporate/commercial matters
- Experience drafting and negotiating agreements
- Initiative and creativity in seeking solutions to problems
- Ability to work independently and also as part of a diverse team
- Strong drive and commitment to deliver results
To apply for this Job : Click Here