IFC, a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused exclusively on the private sector in developing countries. We utilize and leverage our products and services—as well as products and services of other institutions in the World Bank Group—to provide development solutions customized to meet clients’ needs. We apply our financial resources, technical expertise, global experience, and innovative thinking to help our partners overcome financial, operational, and political challenges.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Support IFC’s internal counsels on new and portfolio investments and advisory services in Asia in particular portfolio and Upstream projects. Applicants should also be able to provide “second chair” support on more complex transactions with a senior primary counsel.
- Work autonomously and exercise independent judgment on straightforward financing and advisory transactions in the financial and real sector and follow-on same paper investments with existing clients in Asia. This includes advising internal clients at the business development stage, Term Sheet stage, and drafting and negotiating the transactions.
- Handle portfolio work (independently for routine matters and under supervision for complex matters), including reviewing amendment and waiver documents and working on subsequent closings and disbursements.
- Update guidance and precedents and work on legal and IFC policy research.
- Effectively communicate corporate policies and objectives to internal and external clients.
- Handle communications and articulate instructions to local counsel and external parties and follow-up with the same with a view to finalize IFC positions including in terms of drafting documents.
- Provide guidance and oversee work produced by more junior staff in the legal department.
- Law degree from a recognized university and admitted to practice law in at least one key jurisdiction in Asia
- A minimum of 3 years of experience working at an international law firm/institution or 4 years working at a local law firm in corporate/transactional matters preferably in financing work
- Ability to advise business teams on standard legal questions
- Ability to understand complex legal issues in debt and equity transactions and articulate arguments and rationale for the same
- Proficient in the use of varied legal research sources, i.e., information databases, internet services, library sources
- Proven legal analytical skills, as demonstrated through research and analysis of a wide range of legal issues and the ability to present results/ recommendations clearly and concisely
- Ability to multitask and handle multiple projects/ tasks at the same time
- Demonstrated commitment to core values, including excellence, mutual respect, collegiality, teamwork, diversity and inclusiveness, integrity, innovation, transparency, and accountability.
- English language skills
- Effective communication and strong interpersonal skills.
To apply for this Job : Click Here