At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly striving to uphold our powerful backing promise to our customers and each other every day.
This role is for a lawyer to join the General Counsel’s Organization (GCO) at American Express in India to act as Manager & Counsel in a multi-disciplinary line of business primarily merchant services, insurance services and export services.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Excellent opportunity for an enterprising lawyer with key focus on matters pertaining to Merchant Services, Insurance services and Export Services of American Express in India.
- The role requires strong understanding of laws applicable in India and drafting skills.
- The role requires proactive approach in reviewing the business construct and advising the internal business functions and other internal stakeholders on matters pertaining to banking, credit card, merchant services, network, payments industry, anti-money laundering, insurance distribution, data protection & privacy laws and regulations.
- The candidate should showcase and be able to drive excellent performance at his/her end as a team player and independently, under stringent timelines.
- Assist and support GCO – Head of Legal India and reporting manager, proactively for any assignments, advisory, interpretation and presentations.
- Provide legal advice and win confidence and trust of business clients and colleagues from supporting functions by demonstrating high quality legal work, personal excellence, integrity, credibility, and excellent communication ability.
- Proactively support colleagues in Compliance and other support functions such as Controllership, Treasury, Finance, Risk etc., with clear and accurate legal and regulatory interpretation in a high growth fast paced regulatory environment.
- Advise the business and management about the impact of new and existing laws and regulations on current or proposed business activities.
- Excellent drafting, reviewing and negotiation skills with respect to all types of business/commercial contracts, product/facility, process related documentation and terms and conditions pertaining to various products/processes/business activities of the company.
- Represent the company with credibility, advance preparedness, and persuasiveness in external forums such as regulatory and industry meetings and during contract negotiations.
- Provide strategic, tactical, and other general guidance and advice to management, whether on specific projects or transactions or in relation to standard business processes/practices.
- Efficiently manage external counsel engagement for the company and keep the legal expenses to budget for allocated markets and projects.
- Qualified lawyer from a premier law Institute in India having 8 + years post qualification quality work experience with stability, consistency, and proven track record.
- The candidate should have sound knowledge of legal and regulatory frameworks pertaining to banking, credit card, merchant services, network, payments industry, anti-money laundering, data protection & privacy.
- Strong collaborative and team working skills, as well as self-leadership.
- Skilled at multi-tasking – able to manage and prioritize a wide variety of matters and client contacts at once
- Good PowerPoint skills and ability to present complex concepts succinctly and visually
- Excellent legal drafting skills. Candidates having worked in law firm as well as corporates having experience of drafting and negotiations of varied contracts will be given preference.
- Must have relevant experience on corporate transaction and corporate advisory work including structuring of transactions, preparing transaction documents, and negotiations up to closure.
- Excellent legal and regulatory interpretation and advisory skills.
- Excellent English speaking and writing skills, in particular the ability to explain complex legal matters clearly and concisely to non-specialists in a MNC environment and the ability to gain credibility and trust of senior leaders and demanding colleagues.
- Ability to work effectively in diverse multi/cross-cultural environment. Maintain serenity, resilience, and clear thinking through stressful, confrontational, and fast-changing/fast- paced situations.
- Ability to work as an individual contributor and at the same time ability to work with cross-functional teams both internally and externally in an efficient manner.
- Ability to see connections and wider implications for American Express at an enterprise level with respect to individual line-of-business specific strategies and activities.
- High intellectual curiosity and ability to think quickly and decisively with the ability to understand new concepts quickly, deal with ambiguity and solve complex problems. Most importantly a positive attitude, highest level of integrity and work/professional ethics, growth mindset, will-to-win, and ability to work as a team player.
- Strong relationship and collaboration skills with the ability to influence a broad group of stakeholders across the organization, at all levels.
- Interest in developing a deep understanding of business needs and objectives with close partnership with business clients and anticipate the nature and magnitude of issues that could arise in various settings.
- Adaptable and collaborative – able and willing to work both as part of a team and independently.
- Strong relationship focus – able to build solid working relationships with clients, colleagues, and external parties. Enjoys getting to know people.
- Commitment to integrity and American Express values, with high personal work standards.
To apply for this Job : Click Here