Diageo India is the country’s leading beverage alcohol company and a subsidiary of global leader Diageo plc. The company manufactures, sells and distributes an outstanding portfolio of premium brands such as Johnnie Walker, Black Dog, Black & White, VAT 69, Antiquity, Signature, Royal Challenge, McDowell’s No.1, Smirnoff and Captain Morgan. Headquartered in Bengaluru, our wide footprint is supported by a committed team of over 3500 employees, 50 manufacturing facilities across states and union territories in India, a strong distribution network and a state-of-the-art Technical Centre.
This position is responsible for providing advice and in-house legal support, along with the Senior Legal Counsel, to the Central Functions comprising of Finance, Compliance, HR, IT, KYBP & KYC process and restructuring of subsidiaries. The attorney functions as a key strategic advisor to Central Functions and serves as a critical link between the business functions. The attorney also needs to assist with the management of litigation processes and liaise with outside counsel as required. S/he will need to partner with all stakeholders to develop and implement strategies, policies, and procedures to align with emerging legal and regulatory requirements.
- Post Graduation in Law
- 5-8 years experience in a commercial legal role.
Knowledge & skills:
- Knowledge of Companies Act, Listing obligations, Employment Law, Commercial Contracts, Foreign Exchange Laws, Anti Money Laundering, Data Privacy, imparting face to face trainings ; Project Management skills.
- Strong knowledge of Anti-Bribery legislations and ensuring complete adherence with their provisions.
- Experience in business partnering with other executives and demonstrating the ability and desire to provide pro-active, pragmatic advice in furtherance of the business agenda.
- Demonstrated ability to navigate in legal environments where laws can be unclear and judicial system not always robust.
- Experience in handling litigations across courts in India; briefing senior counsels and coordinate with law firms.
- Work remotely with external counsels and business stakeholders in multiple locations across India
- Knowledge of Legal affairs within Consumer Goods Sector.
Best Suited for someone who
- Has a strong commercial focus and an ability to influence key stakeholders
- Can multitask and enjoys working in an advisory role
- Can identify proactive solutions that will eliminate or mitigate risks.
- Has strong communication and presentation skills
- Likes to build and maintain relationships both internally and externally at all levels
- Is tactful in dealing with sensitive matters and can maintain confidentiality and/or sensitive business information
- Legal Business Partnering
- Provide advice toFinance, Compliance, HR, IT teams in regulatory / legal risk mitigation.
- Review and provide advice on drafting and development of policies and procedures.
- Assist in minimising legal risk for USL in the areas of anti-bribery and corruption, anti-money laundering and data privacy using strong knowledge of these fast evolving areas. Prepare and conduct training programs on these policies.
- Defend claims, including working with the litigation team and outside counsel on litigation matters, responding to notices received and settlement demands.
- Act as Project Manager of Central functions for KYBP/KYC process and drive and monitor an effective and efficient implementation and documentation thereof.
- Lead/Support legal activities, to grow and protect Diageo’s reputation and business interests whilst ensuring compliance with all relevant laws and regulations.
- Ensure that transaction risk (in the underlying business & in the negotiated documents) is contractually mitigated as far as possible to protect Diageo and that any remaining risk is understood by all relevant stakeholders
- Co-develop standardized processes with Sr. Counsel, incorporating best practices from the industry, and templates for the efficient and effective delivery of legal services and business operations partnering with the various functions as appropriate (Inc. procurement, operations, finance, HR etc.).
- Support initiatives in identification and interpretation of applicable and changing laws and regulations in all areas of business activity and provide support for crisis management and taxation changes.
- Provide frameworks, processes and checklists and training to ensure effective adherence to legislative requirements in day to day operations.
- Legal Documentation
- Draft, negotiate and review contracts and legal documentation for a broad range of commercial transactions (incl. software licensing agreements, master services agreements, non-disclosure agreements, property services agreements, consultancy agreements, MOUs, etc.).
- Analyse, research and prepare documentation on a range of legal and regulatory issues (incl.corporate, commercial and contract law, corporate compliance, foreign investment, labour / employment, M&A, product liability, data privacy etc.) to support Sr. Counsel on the above matters
- Legal Liaison
- Coordinate with outside counsel for representation before courts, government agencies and/or other authorities and implement dispute resolution efforts and strategies, track and manage outside counsel costs
To apply for this Job : Click Here