Bharti Airtel Limited is a leading global telecommunications company with operations in 18 countries across Asia and Africa. Headquartered in New Delhi, India. In India, the company’s product offerings include 2G, 3G and 4G wireless services, mobile commerce, fixed line services, high speed home broadband, DTH, enterprise services including national & international long distance services to carriers. In the rest of the geographies, it offers 2G, 3G, 4G wireless services and mobile commerce. We are always looking for people who are thinkers & doers. People with passion, curiosity & conviction, people who are eager to break away from conventional roles and do ‘jobs never done before’.
About the Role:
- Telecommunications is a highly litigated sector, with several matters currently pending before High Courts across the country and before the Apex Court.
- Company is involved in a number of cases having significantly high financial implications. Many of these matters have arisen under the tax legislations, both central and state, including direct, indirect and other taxes and other statutes such as Customs Act, Entertainment Tax etc.
- Company is looking for a suitable in-house counsel well capable of managing such high- value high-exposure litigation across the country. This would entail, among others, strategizing, drafting, vetting and finalization of pleadings as well as briefing of external counsels, including senior counsels, attending the hearings and keeping track of matters.
- As a part of the legal team, the in-house counsel will need to work closely with the tax and finance teams of the Company to collate relevant information and documents, strategize, draft, vet and finalize the pleadings etc. for the desired results.
- The in-house counsel will be required to strategize, draft, vet, finalize and execute pleadings for and on behalf of the Company to be filed before the Courts and Tribunals.
- The in-house counsel will be required to co-ordinate with external counsels, including the leading law firms of the country to arrange and finalize pleadings, including petitions, replies, rejoinders, appeals, counters etc. well within limitation and the dates fixed etc.
- The in-house counsel will be required to attend Court hearings and follow and keep track of day to day developments in the matters and the actionables and ensure that there is no delay causing and prejudice to the interests of the Company.
- The in-house counsel will be required to provide legal support and advice on wide range of issues primarily related to tax laws to the finance and tax teams.
- The in-house counsel will be required to deeply analyze the merits of the cases for the purposes of risk assessment from the standpoint of provisioning and accounting.
- The in-house counsel will be required to overall manage the matters as warranted, including handholding of the Circle teams for the management of litigation by and against the Company.
- Strong and deep knowledge of Indian Constitution, tax and finance legislations.
- Strong and deep knowledge of Supreme Court and High Court Rules and procedures.
- Excellent analytical, drafting and articulation skills.
Bachelor’s Degree in Law (Professional) with 8-12 years of relevant experience, including experience of Court practice and litigation management as in-house counsel in a mid to large Company, specially tax related litigation.
To apply for this Job : Click Here