Opening up a world of opportunity for our customers, investors, ourselves and the planet. We’re a financial services organisation that serves more than 40 million customers, ranging from individual savers and investors to some of the world’s biggest companies and governments. Our network covers 64 countries and territories, and we’re here to use our unique expertise, capabilities, breadth and perspectives to open up a world of opportunity for our customers.
Impact on the Business / Function
- Provide counsel on a variety of legal matters, or in a specialist area, including matters that may be complex or have potential for some impact.
- Advise the INM retail business – Wealth and Personal Banking (WPB) business team on the legal issues faced by them in their day-to-day business, including launching new products, and assist them in devising appropriate procedures & documentation to mitigate the legal and contractual risk.
- To be considered to be a trusted adviser to the business by ensuring that commercially sensitive, pragmatic and practical legal support and advice is provided in a cost-effective manner to the legal team supporting the business/product groups.
- Maintaining HSBC internal control standards including assisting in resolving queries and breaches and avoiding potential breaches and the timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by regulators and to include measurement and recording of ‘breaches of internal control’.
- Provide prompt, commercial, practical and sometimes complex and or specialized legal advice to the WPB business/product groups.
- Be proactive in the provision of legal support and in advising the business promptly of material legal developments and their implications.
- Ensure legal management is fully briefed on major issues arising in relevant business area and major legislative changes in area of expertise.
- Liaise with panel law firms and other appropriate external parties
- Maintain and develop positive and professional working relationships with all team members within INM Legal Team, and business departments for which the jobholder is responsible.
- Participate effectively as part of the INM Legal Team.
- Share legal knowledge and best practices with legal colleagues.
- Manage internal support staff as appropriate.
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Provide legal services in a cost-effective manner.
- Co-ordinate and manage the approach to legal risk in INM legal and business departments for which the jobholder is responsible, to ensure that the interests of the HSBC Group are adequately protected.
- Employ legal risk management policies and controls in relevant business areas.
- Assist the business to remain compliant with legal risk management requirements set out in the Group Standards Manual and Legal FIM.
- Awareness of the operational risk scenario associated with the role and to ensure that all actions during employment with HSBC take account of the likelihood of operational risk occurring
- Qualified Lawyer with over 10 years of experience.
- Knowledge and experience of banking laws and a working knowledge of the laws in India;
- Corporate experience and Compliance experience an advantage, but not essential
- Knowledge of the HSBC Group corporate structures, its business and personnel and a clear understanding of HSBC’s corporate culture;
- Experience of working in Legal team of a Bank in India would be highly regarded
- Developing Leadership skills;
- Strong ability to prioritise
- Communication and inter-personal skills;
- Lateral thinking/problem solving.
To apply for this Job : Click Here