The following summary of rules is intended to assist authors in complying with the Standard Indian Legal Citation before submitting their manuscript to the journal for consideration. It is intended as a quick guide only. Many rules are not listed, and any ambiguity should be resolved by reference to a full copy of the Standard Indian Legal Citation.
General (SILC Chapter 1)
- Dates: When providing dates, always provide dates in the format of day/month/year.
- Names: First names and middle names of authors shall be abbreviated by using the first letter of the name followed by a period. The last name shall be provided in full.
- Ibid should be used to refer to a source in the immediately preceding footnote.
- ‘Supra’ should be used where a source has been cited in a previous footnote other than the immediately preceding footnote or in the immediately preceding footnote, if it is not the only source in that footnote.
Other important things:
- All footnotes should end with a full stop.
- Footnote numbers should appear after the relevant punctuation in the text.
- Bibliographies should be excluded.
Cases (SILC Chapter 2)
- Published: Kesavananda Bharati v. State of Kerala, AIR 1973 SC 1461, 1480.
- Unpublished: State of Bihar v. Nirmal Kumar Gupta, Civil Appeal No. 128 of 2013 (Supreme Court, 08/01/2013).
Legislative Materials (SILC Chapter 2)
- Statutes: S. 376(2) (g), The Indian Penal Code, 1960.
- Bills: The Competition (Amendment) Bill, 2012 (pending).
Journal Articles (SILC Chapter 2)
- Hard Copy: C.D. Singh, P. Pranjal & S. Arora, The Protection of Children from the Sexual Offences Act, 2012: A Critique of the Decision to Raise the Age of Consent for Sexual Relations, 3 Journal of Indian Law & Society 286, 300 (2012).
- Online: C.D. Singh, P. Pranjal & S. Arora, The Protection of Children from the Sexual Offences Act, 2012: A Critique of the decision to raise the age of consent for sexual relations, 3 Journal of Indian Law & Society 286, 300 (2012), available at https://jils.ac.in/wpcontent/uploads/2012/11/chitwan-prashant-sahil1.pdf, last seen on 11/11/2013.
Books (SILC Chapter 2)
- Authored Books: P.C. Markenda, Law Relating to Arbitration & Conciliation, 98 (6th ed., 2006).
- Edited Books: V.N. Shukla’s Constitution of India, 219 (M.P. Singh, 12th ed., 2013).